Hello! Home of European Language Learning Opportunities
“The limits of my language means the limits of my world” – Ludwig Wittgenstein
Foreign language skills expand worlds, open doors to new cultures and contribute to social cohesion, mobility and employability. Yet, only half of all Europeans speak a foreign language, while only a quarter speaks a second foreign language (Eurobarometer 386, 2012).
Hello! empowers learners of all ages to better understand the benefits of language learning – and to find and compare language courses of any language taught in Europe – while providing language institutes with an excellent way to centrally present their offers.
January, 2014 - December, 2014
Alison Dickens, Project Manager
A project by StudyPortals, Linguaid, and LLAS - Centre for Languages, Linguistics and Area Studies. Proposed within the LLP Key Activity 2 action funded by the European Commission.
By improving the information infrastructure hello! results in LanguagePortal.eu:
- A comprehensive pan-European database and search engine listing at least 2,000 courses covering all official EU languages
- A self-assessment wizard recommending courses matching the profiles of potential learners
- A Multimedia Library offering videos, articles, interviews and 23 European language and culture spotlights
Intertwining these resources with important European initiatives (e.g. CEFR and quality labels) supports potential language learners to choose a quality course.
Hello! reaches out to potential learners and institutes:
- An awareness campaign (posters, postcards, social media, YouTube video competition) reaching out to main target groups (high school pupils, HE students and adult learners)
- An institution campaign visiting four major language fairs, targeting language institutes
And hello! ensures long-term success!
With StudyPortals, Linguaid and LLAS joining forces, the consortium combines expertise in online study choice with far reaching networks and great understanding of the needs of European language learners and school. The consortium is confident and eager to make an impact. Hello! – the Home of European Language Learning Opportunities – promotes the uptake of language learning opportunities and increases their transparency and accessibility.
Find out more at http://www.languagelearningportal.com/