Introduction to methods for pedagogic research in languages, linguistics and area studies (Stage 1)
Date: 3 March, 2011
Location: Woburn House Conference Centre, 20 Tavistock Square, London, WC1H 9HQ
Event type: Workshop
This workshop is suitable for those who are new to pedagogic research. No prior knowledge of social science or educational research methods is assumed. To ensure the workshop is interactive, places are limited to 16 participants. The day commences at 10.30 - 11.00am with coffee and registration. The first session starts at 11.00am. The event finishes at approximately 16.30. A stage 2 two workshop is available the following day in the same location. http://www.llas.ac.uk/events/6308
- Introduce the context of research into teaching and learning in higher education
- Introduce quantitative and qualitative research methods for researching teaching and learning.
- Enable participants to recognise the strengths and limitations of different research methods
- Recognise various ethical issues in conducting research into teaching and learning
- There is a charge of £75 for employees and postgraduate students of publicly funded UK educational institutions to attend this event.
- There is a charge of £95 for employees and postgraduate students of private institutions/organisations and non-UK institutions to attend this event.
- Please note that we reserve the right to retain the fee of £50 if you do not notify us at least 14 days beforehand that you are unable to attend.
- Full details of our charging policy are available.
- Lunch will be provided.
Travel bursaries are not available for this event.
|10.30 - 11.00||Coffee and registration|
|11.00 - 12.00||Introducing research in language learning and teaching|
|12.00 - 12.45||What is qualitative research?|
|12.45 - 13.45||Lunch|
|13.45 - 15.00||Questionnaires|
|15.00 - 16.00||Ethics|
|16.00 - 16.30||Summary, questions and discussion|