About LLAS Centre for languages, linguistics and area studies
LLAS is a research and enterprise group specialising in educational projects and professional development in the area of languages and related studies. We have been providing high quality professional development, resources and information to the higher education sector since 2000, first as part of the Higher Education Academy Subject Network and since 2011 as an independent group. We also engage in research and projects at the level of government policy and activities which promote greater public engagement with languages and related studies. The Centre’s activities extend to working across sectors and internationally. It is led by Professor Mike Kelly and a team of experienced education developers with academic and pedagogic expertise.
Our mission is to foster world-class education in our subject areas. We have a reputation for being responsive to the needs of our stakeholders and we offer academic leadership in promoting good practice and identifying emerging issues. We work in partnership with the primary, secondary and tertiary education sectors and provide the following services:
- Professional development for educators in languages and related subjects;
- Event management;
- Project management and support for UK-wide and international education projects;
- Research and evaluation.
We also provide a wide range of online resources for teachers and students in the resources section of our website and through two major collections of Open Educational Resources:
- HumBox: a humanities teaching resource repository jointly managed by LLAS
- LanguageBox: an online repository for language teaching resources.
Our services and resources will be of particular interest to:
- Teachers of languages and related studies in primary, secondary and tertiary education;
- Researchers in education and in languages and related studies;
- Support staff for languages in primary, secondary and tertiary education;
- Senior leaders in languages and related studies in primary, secondary and tertiary education;
- Policy makers, including funding councils;
- Subject associations in the UK and internationally;
- Students (undergraduate and postgraduate);
- Education-related businesses and organisations.
LLAS Centre for languages, linguistics and area studies
Faculty of Humanities
University of Southampton
Southampton SO17 1BJ
phone: +44 (0)23 8059 4814
fax: +44 (0)23 8059 4815